Wednesday, September 23, 2009

MOPS


Today was my first day to attend MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). Scheduling hasn't allowed me to attend in the past, and let me just say that I have been missing out. A lot of thought has gone into this program, from the coffee talk time where you are divided into groups based on your career before it was motherhood, the delicious brunch, nurturing mentor moms, and wonderful speakers. There are even door prizes and gifts given to the moms who are celebrating birthdays or new babies, ect. As a stay at home mom, I found this time so refreshing... to just sit, not corralling children, and visit with other moms, sharing our experiences, and gaining new insight from our speaker. Today the speaker was Dr. Brad Schwall, he is a child psychologist who is a regular contributor to WFAA the local ABC affiliate. His work specializes in developing healthy social and emotional skills, in an age appropriate manner... I can certainly use some tips in that area!


The emphasis really seems to be on fellowship, education and empowerment. Their motto is "Better Moms Make a Better World" ... what an awesome statement. I have really needed an outlet like this, and I am so excited about this year. I am also looking forward to making some new friends, in fact, two of the girls in my group live in my neighborhood... yeah!


It also an opportunity for Lauren to be around other babies her age, which she doesn't get a chance to do very often. The childcare is great, and she was happy and playing when I picked her up. I am so thankful for this new blessing in my life!

No comments: